Please Hit

Folks, This is a Free Site and will ALWAYS stay that way. But the only way I offset my expenses is through the donations of my readers. PLEASE Consider Making a Donation to Keep This Site Going. SO HIT THE TIP JAR (it's on the left-hand column).

Monday, October 29, 2007

Hitler's going to gas them again- Jew Hatred in British Soccer Leagues

Anti-Semitism has grown by leaps and bounds in Great Britain. It takes so many different forms. You have they physical attacks that are mostly limited to the Muslim Communities. You have the "intellegencia " that use Israel as way to get out their anti-Semitic feeling... people like former Foreign Minister Jack Straw who has excused terrorism against Israel
"One of the factors that helps breed terrorism is the anger which many people in this region feel at events over the years in Palestine,"
Don't forget the Boycotts announced by the Press Union and the College Union...Britain is just a hotbed for Jew hatred. Britains love their football as much as they hate the Jews and lately there has been the opportunity to do both at the same time.

Alive and unchecked - a wave of anti-Jewish hate

Action demanded on problem that brings echoes of the game's bad old days, reports Anna Kessel

Sunday October 28, 2007

Observer

'Spurs are on their way to Belsen, Hitler's gonna gas 'em again...' It's not a song you would expect to hear on a family day out at a Premier League game, but it is one of several anti-Semitic chants still heard at some top-flight grounds. While the message about anti-black abuse is in the public consciousness, campaigners say that anti-Semitism is alive - and unchecked.

The past few months have featured several high-profile recorded incidents of anti-Semitic abuse, alongside growing evidence from lower levels of the game. The problem centres around clubs in London - where there are large Jewish communities - where songs about concentration camps and gas chamber hissing noises are a regular feature at certain games. The government recently reported a rise in anti-Semitic attacks in wider society and, with the appointment of Avram Grant as Chelsea manager, the issue in football has been brought into focus after the club received anti-Semitic hate mail.

Britain's Jewish sports group says action is overdue. Martin Berliner, chief executive of Maccabi GB, says: 'I'm a Chelsea fan and I can't listen to songs about concentration camps any more. My father's parents died in the Holocaust. When Avram Grant was appointed, fans came on Chelsea TV and asked why they had appointed a Jew who would not work on Yom Kippur. There's a lot of Jewish conspiracy-theory talk kicking about, like Ben Haim only being picked because he's Jewish. The other week Haim made a mistake and someone behind me stood up and shouted, "You stupid Yid!" Nobody complained.'

Comedian and author David Baddiel agrees. 'Literally every week there is some anti-Semitic chanting at Stamford Bridge. It often takes place regardless of whether Tottenham are playing or not. It's even happened to me. I went to get a hotdog in an area where I don't usually sit and they started chanting "Yiddo" at me.' Baddiel says he can understand the humour in some of it, but feels that a serious side of the issue is too often overlooked. 'Can you imagine if the Chelsea crowd was shouting "Nigger" or "Paki"? People would actually be talking about taking legal action.'

Abuse has been heard at Premier League grounds from Arsenal to Wigan. A complicating factor is Tottenham's close association with the problem - whether they are playing or not, many of the chants are directed at the club or their former players. Their fans' self-identification as 'Yids' - a derogatory word for a Jew - is problematic. Last week fans and representatives of the Tottenham Supporters Trust, Maccabi GB and Kick It Out debated the issue. Supporters say the term is used as a 'badge of honour', which aligns Jews and non-Jews in a proud allegiance to the club, but campaigners say it provokes and legitimises abuse from rival fans. As both sets of fans often interchange 'Yid' for 'Jew', or words depicting a relationship to Israel or Palestine, the demarcation lines separating football from religion, race, politics and anti-Semitism are decidedly blurred.

Chelsea want the term 'Yid' eradicated from their ground. 'We make it clear that we have a policy of zero tolerance,' says Simon Greenberg, director of communications. 'There is no justification in our eyes. We're not going to get into a philosophical debate about it.' But Tottenham insist the FA should be taking the lead and are wary of being made a scapegoat. 'It is a complex issue and there are strong feelings on both sides. But the fans themselves have not raised it,' says their spokesperson.

And that may be a key part of the problem: a scarcity of high-profile voices from within the Jewish football community. Many of those approached by Observer Sport declined to be interviewed for fear of alienating themselves in the football world. Others did not want to draw attention to their Jewish identity and in some cases clubs felt it too controversial for their staff to discuss. The reticence reminds some of the days when black players were too frightened to speak about racism.

One man who is happy to be the lone voice is lawyer and Kick It Out board advisory member Jonathan Metliss. A lifelong football fan, Metliss has been campaigning against anti-Semitism since the early 1980s. 'My father fought the Mosleyites. When I started campaigning nobody would take it seriously, but I've since put this issue on the map.' Metliss says 'Yid' is unquestionably offensive. 'It's like calling a Pakistani a Paki. A lot of guys I know won't take their kids to football because of it.'

Simon Johnson, the FA's director of corporate affairs, concedes that there is a problem. 'We have not yet made it as taboo to abuse somebody who is Jewish,' says Johnson. 'People do not understand that it's offensive to call someone an 'effing Yid', or to hiss: they think it's funny. Our challenge is to make it a taboo - and I accept we've got some catching up to do.'

Some of the recorded incidents of anti-Semitism in England this year

· 'I'd rather be a Pikey than a Jew' - plus Nazi salutes and gas-chamber hissing

Southend fans at Spurs, January

· 'Spurs are on their way to Auschwitz, Hitler's going to gas them again'

Chelsea fans v Sheffield United, March

· Video of fans chanting 'I'd rather be a Paki than a Jew' posted on YouTube

West Ham fans v Tottenham, March

· 'We've got Cesc Fabregas, you yids are scared of gas'

Arsenal fans at Spurs, September

· 'We'd rather have Mourinho than a Jew'

Chelsea fans v Fulham, September

1 comment:

Seth Patinkin said...

Dear Oprah,

I am writing to you about discrimination which has been expressed by the selective enforcement of city ordinances against me with respect to my rental business in Southern Indiana once city officials discovered that I am a Jewish person.

More about me: I was named to the "30 under 30" list by my alma mater and did my PhD work at Princeton Univ. under John Nash. I am a applied mathematician/ entrepreneur in my day job.

In the years since I completed my undergraduate work at IU in 1998, I proceeded to buy a small number of rental properties in Bloomington, Indiana, which I have successfully run as a side business for a number of years.

However, about 2-3 years ago, the normal flow of my side rental business ran into some serious roadblocks.

It started when two housing inspectors made a number of explicit anti-semitic statements to me and to a Jewish tenant at one of my rentals.

Soon thereafter, four (4) groups of my otherwise law-abiding and happy tenants were threatened with $10,000 + fine (assessed PER tenant) for alleged ordinance violations.

Long story short, I was soon stuck with numerous vacancies and left paying the mortgage payments on these properties which were subsequently burglarized and vandalized. At the same time, the Housing Department caused complaint inspections to take place at these properties, identifying dozens and dozens of "defects" in the properties not otherwise noted in previous move-in inspections and causing me to incur thousands of dollars of needless "improvements".

And then the Legal Department went to work on me, filing at least five (5) lawsuits against me for alleged ordinance violations, and at the same time, the Legal Department Chief's wife, over at Student Legal Services, encouraged my erstwhile tenants to sue me for recovery of their security deposits, in spite of their breaches. I was soon dealing with about ten lawsuits at once.

So in April 2007, I filed a lawsuit against the City of Bloomington for violating my right to equal protection of the law, and a number of other civil rights violations. For reasons unbeknownst to me, I have become of the despotism of city government in small town Indiana. My attorneys have recently discovered that my case is not unique. Another Jewish landlord also has a case pending in federal court against the City, regarding the improper withholding of a building permit based upon the impermissible consideration that the prospective buyer of the commercial property in question was a Jewish investor from New York.

My life has been turned upside down by the systematic abuse of ordinances and
judicial proceedings. I find it outrageous that such a negative spirit still thrives in modern America. I would love the opportunity to talk about my story on your show, as I think it is in the public interest.

~~ Never Stop Learning ~~

markkruzan.blogspot.com
monroe-county.blogspot.com
william-j-beggs.blogspot.com
bungerlaw.blogspot.com
lawbr.blogspot.com
bunger-law.blogspot.com
kevinrobling.blogspot.com
martha-szatkowski.blogspot.com
cityofbloomington.blogspot.com
patriciamulvihill.blogspot.com
margieschrader.blogspot.com
margie-schrader.blogspot.com
seth-patinkin.blogspot.com
sethpatinkin.blogspot.com