Please Hit

Folks, This is a Free Site and will ALWAYS stay that way. But the only way I offset my expenses is through the donations of my readers. PLEASE Consider Making a Donation to Keep This Site Going. SO HIT THE TIP JAR (it's on the left-hand column).

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Sarah Palin Comes Out Swinging on Independence Day

If you thought that Alaska Governor Sarah Palin was going to just fade into the background you are very, very wrong. One day after announcing her resignation, Palin became showed everyone what she meant by the little Hockey Mom/pit bull joke.  On face book she released a message that smacked the mainstream media for its response to her resignation and hinted that she will be running in 2012:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Sarah

Later in the day the Governor's attorney Thomas Van Flein on warned legal action may be taken against bloggers and publications that reprint what he calls fraudulent claims.
"To the extent several websites, most notably liberal Alaska blogger Shannyn Moore, are now claiming as 'fact' that Governor Palin resigned because she is 'under federal investigation' for embezzlement or other criminal wrongdoing, we will be exploring legal options this week to address such defamation," Van Flein said in a statement. "This is to provide notice to Ms. Moore, and those who re-publish the defamation, such as Huffington Post, MSNBC, the New York Times and The Washington Post, that the Palins will not allow them to propagate defamatory material without answering to this in a court of law."
 Good for her !

On Pajamas media, Writer Jazz Shaw has an excellent overview of the reaction to Governor Palin's resignation. Shaw feels that Palin might have committed political suicide, and he might be right. If we were talking about any normal politician, I would say that she most definitely has committed political suicide.  On the other hand,  I have seen the governor electrify a crowd, so lets just say her political career is on life support, and it will be an interesting 40 months.

2 comments:

Greg said...

No one I know who supported Palin prior to her resignation stopped supporting her afterwards. If anything, the support for her has intensified among her supporters. When Sarah Palin says she doesn't believe in "politics as usual," she means it, she's honest, if nothing else. When Romney decided not to seek another term in MA he spent 2 years traveling the country, speaking at events, and little else, but collecting a state paycheck, that's politics as usual.

It's interesting to note that Palin's resignation takes effect a few days before SarahPAC's first FEC report is filed. My suspecion is that she has raised a lot of money, and what is the sense of having a PAC which pays your expenses to events, if you are not free to use it? My view is is that Palin has decided to get involved nationally, and she could not in good conscience continue drawing a state paycheck. Good for her. 0bama was elected to represent the people of IL, but decided to thumb his nose at them after one year, continue to draw a paycheck for a job he wasn't performing, and no one said boo about it, that's politics as usual.

Most people cannot figure out what Palin is up to because she thinks outside the box, and most of us, including her supporters, actually live inside the box.

She's made a risky move, but she has done that before when she resigned from being chairman of the Oil and Gas Board when she discovered that fighting corruption from the inside was unproductive. It worked then, and I think it will ultimately work this time as well.

Unknown said...

Hey.. :)

Yeah, I've got an email from something of hers from maybe three days before the announcement.. Either a whole lot of [really nasty dirty] went down in those three days in between or Sarah has not removed herself wholly from politics, is instead charging her batteries before the next move.. Not a(n educated) clue why, but I'd put my bottom $ on the latter..

Great big cyber hugs from Talking Rock.. :)

PS.. Did you see or feel the linkage by one of Pajamas Media's bloggers..?