Please Hit

Folks, This is a Free Site and will ALWAYS stay that way. But the only way I offset my expenses is through the donations of my readers. PLEASE Consider Making a Donation to Keep This Site Going. SO HIT THE TIP JAR (it's on the left-hand column).

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Proof That the Temple Mount is Jewish

I Originally wrote this in March--I though it was worth reposting as we neared the somber day of Tisha B' Av.

Everyday there are more stories, more protests about
Israel trying to "Judaicise" the area around the Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem. The Sheiks, the Waqf all are trying to politicize what was originally the place of the two Jewish Holy Temples. I have even read with curiosity how European Foreign Ministers and press reporter's with Christian backgrounds describe the site as "what the Jewish people SAY was the location of the Holy Temples. I wonder when those folks go to church on Sunday do they argue with their Priests and Ministers to change the gospels because the man that they believe was the son of G-d went to that Temple Mount 3x a year.


But folks I am not here to argue history or tradition, no jokes about the Muslims mooning the Temple Mount when they pray (although it’s true). No discussion about how Moshe Dayan was the villain of the mount etc. I don't have to argue about ownership because I have been there. And as corny as it may sound to anyone who has never been there, I felt the presence of G-d at the Temple Mount

All my life I had this overwhelming desire to go to the mount. I never understood that urge until I stood in its presence until about two years ago when my family and I finally took a trip to Israel. My wife had been before but it was the first time for the rest of us.

As soon as we drove through the hills and I got my my first look at Jerusalem for the first time in my life I felt comfortable in my surroundings. To me Jerusalem felt like home, despite the fact that I had never been there in my life. I knew where to go and how to get around without looking at a map. There were times that I would say I had a shortcut to where we needed to go, and my wife who had been there before would tell me I was crazy (true but irrelevant). I was always correct. Everywhere I went, I knew where we were and its relation to the Temple Mount. And to be honest the lure of the Temple Site was stronger in Israel than ever before.

Now at this point, anyone Jewish reading this who has never been to Israel is probably calling for the guy with the straight jackets to take me away. But ask someone who has been there, someone who believes in HaShem and see if feel any different.

On our second day in Jerusalem, we were finally going to the Kotel and the Temple Mount. The whole family got up early, I packed up my Tallit
and T'fillin and took off with our guide into the Old City. Yossi, our wonderful guide took us all over the Old City, He knew how important the going to the Kotel was to me, yet rather than go directly to it he teased me with ...Its right over that wall, we will see this movie first, lets go to the burnt house etc. I was getting very frustrated, but he was masterfully building up my expectations. Finally we walked down the wooden stairway and walked through the gate of the Kotel Plaza, I was overwhelmed by emotions that I had never felt before.

All my life I felt this longing to go to the Kotel to and I finally knew why. You see, everywhere else you go in Israel, you feel the presence of all that has gone on before you, David Hamelech, Avraham, the tribes, the two kingdoms and on and on. That is about culture and history. When you visit the Kotel it is about G-d. It is about being able to feel the lingering presence of the Shekhinah that has been gone for two thousand years.

That's when I learned that the dispute over the Temple Mount was all political, all about delegitimizing the Jewish presence in Jerusalem. Because I was there. And with my ten year old son holding my bag, I celebrated my life long dream, I wrapped the T'fillin around my arm, placed it on my head wrapped my tallit around my son and me and prayed to G-d. But it wasn't just praying at the Kotel, Those words of Hebrew seemed to have meaning like never before. I was it was connecting. Connecting with the G-d of Avraham, Yitzchak, and Yakov. That "urge" I had felt all my life, was more like an invitation from my Maker, "Come Visit so we can talk."And while G-d is everywhere for some reason only a Rabbi can explain, I could feel his presence much stronger at the temple mount.

That's it, that's my proof. Nothing scientific, nothing that will work in a court of law, or in an international dispute, I felt this strong connection to the Lord at the Kotel. There is not another place in the entire would that has even come close. Now, if kneeling on a prayer mat, and facing Mecca was the correct way to pray at the temple mount. Why did I feel the connection?

If ANYONE doubts me, I urge you to pack up your prayer tools and take a trip to Israel. When you arrive go to the Kotel put on your tallit and t'fillin and feel that connection for yourself. I guarantee it will change you forever.

3 comments:

YMedad said...

Wait! You didn't go up? You didn't walk around the permitted areas that are outisde the sancred precincts?

You, at least, must be Jewish.

Unknown said...

actually it was the first week of August 2005, the week before the surrender of Gaza, The weren't letting anyone with a kippah anywhere near the mount.

Michael said...

go to the Kotel put on your tallit and t'fillin and feel that connection for yourself

Yid, I've been there, and done that. It was amazing.