Please Hit

Folks, This is a Free Site and will ALWAYS stay that way. But the only way I offset my expenses is through the donations of my readers. PLEASE Consider Making a Donation to Keep This Site Going. SO HIT THE TIP JAR (it's on the left-hand column).

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

A Fresh Look at Golda Makes Olmert Look Worse

Anyone who is a regular reader of this blog knows that I am not a big fan of Golda Meir and when I went to Israel with my family it seemed that Golda is a bigger hero in the US than in Israel. Why? Because in the 59 years since the War of Independence, the Yom Kippur war was the closest the Jewish State came to being destroyed. Many people, including my friend Avi who was a tank commander in the Sinai, put the blame for that squarely on the shoulders of Ms Meir.

My friend Chaim, who also served in that war, disagrees, he says that what today's Israel's leadership lacks today is a pair of brass "family jewels" like Golda had.

One day I would like to have my two friends in a room and hear them talk it out.
It is interesting to note that in the spirit of Winograd, after Golda was cleared by the Agranat commission which investigated the Yom Kippur War, she resigned, not because she didn't have the political support to stay in power (she did) but because she did not have the support of the People.

Compare that to today's announcements. Olmert wasn't cleared he was rebuked for his management of the war by the Winograd Committee. He is desperately trying to hold on to political power, despite the fact that he does not have the support of the people. Instead of resigning as Golda did. (see
JPOST Prime minister tells Kadima ministers he won't resign)

You know, Chaim is right Golda Meir is more of a man than Ehud Olmert will ever be.

1 comment:

Yoel.Ben-Avraham said...

Golda Meir was more of a man than Ehud Olmert will ever be


Wow! That is my "Quote of the Day" To whom do I attribute it?

Yoel