Regular readers of this site are about read something you thought you would never find in anything written by me, but I agree with Ron Paul. In fact this time the Texas Congressman the has shown more courage than Michele Bachmann, Rick Santorum, and Newt Gingrich. You see they all rushed to accept the invitation to the Newsmax Donald Trump moderated debate. But Ron Paul said no way.
“The selection of a reality television personality to host a presidential debate that voters nationwide will be watching is beneath the office of the Presidency and flies in the face of that office’s history and dignity,” Paul Campaign Chairman Jesse Benton said. “To be sure, Mr. Trump’s participation will contribute to an unwanted circus-like atmosphere.”
Now granted the real reason Paul rejected the invitation was the ongoing feud between the two ever since Trump spoke at CPAC. A last minute surprise addition to the program the highlight of "The Donald's" littletalk was when he told the crowd the truth about Ron Paul, that he is Not Electable--The absolute truth. What he neglected to mention was that he too had no chance of being electable.
By inviting Donald Trump to Newsmax has turned its participation in the primary process a joke. It was just a few months ago that Trump flew to the top of the polls, that was until he opened his mouth. The main reason was that he was a one-issue candidate, and with the President's release of his long form birth certificate the number of birthers have fallen significantly (thank God).
Well that and the fact that Trump didn't have many conservative positions and his multiple bankruptcies did say much for his ability to manage the economy. Also remember some of these Trump positions:
- "We must have universal healthcare": We must have universal healthcare. Our objective [should be] to make reforms for the moment and, longer term, to find an equivalent of the single-payer plan that is affordable, well-administered, and provides freedom of choice. (Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.206-208 & 218)
- Donald Trump favors a massive tax hike on Americans that would kill jobs and investment: I would impose a one-time, 14.25% tax on individuals and trusts with a net worth over $10 million. For individuals, net worth would be calculated minus the value of their principal residence. That would raise $5.7 trillion in new revenue, which we would use to pay off the entire national debt [and shore up the Social Security Trust Fund]. (Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.170-74)
- Trump wants a 25% tax on all Chinese imports: "Twenty-five percent tax on China, unless they behave," he told O'Reilly. "You're threatening China with a trade bill. Twenty-five percent tariff. That's big," O'Reilly retorted. "No, they're threatening us. They're going to make a three hundred billion dollar, let's call it profit, this year on the United States." (Source: Fox News, 4/1/11, http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/04/01/trump-tax-china-25-0#ixzz1JKlujJYV)
- Trump: "I'd love to have a trade war with China. If we did no business with China frankly we'd save a lot of money.": In a Fox News interview, Trump said “I’m a big free trade believer by the way.” A few minutes later he said “I’d love to have a trade war with China. If we did no business with China frankly we’d save a lot of money.” (Source: http://www.therightscoop.com/donald-trump-id-love-a-trade-war-with-china/)
- In 1999, Trump opposed NAFTA: “KING: You shared Mr. Perot and Mr. Buchanan and Mr. Nader's belief with regard to NAFTA, right? You were an opponent of NAFTA? TRUMP: I am. And the reason NAFTA looks OK now is because the economy is strong, but when the economy is not strong, which, unfortunately, will at some point happen, NAFTA is going to look like a disaster.” (Source: http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/10/08/trump.transcript/)