What a pile of nothing. Both the POTUS and the SCHMOTUS had been warning that Obama would take hard constructive action on gun control. For days advocates of the constitution were worried that Obama would seek to destroy the Second Amendment by executive fiat. Instead his actions were the typical political "We will do better and we will study." One thing the POTUS missed...there is no executive order preventing the Federal Government from selling weapons to Mexican Drug Cartels...everyone would support that one. Below is the list of all 23 Executive Orders regarding gun control issued by Obama today--annotated with some "pithy" comments (in Red).
THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
EMBARGOED UNTIL THE START OF THE PRESIDENT’S REMARKS
January 16, 2013
Gun Violence Reduction Executive Actions
Today, the President is announcing that he and the Administration will:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system. Wow..the Govt. Talking to Each Other?
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system. This one reflects a problem many anticipated when Obamacare was passed ---your health records are not your own anymore. It it is not a 2nd Amendment issue but it does seem like a violation of the 4th Amendment's protection against illegal search and seizure.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system. Wow..States sharing information with the Federal Government...just like they do with fingerprints and DNA.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks. Holder is going to do a study.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun. The operative word is propose.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers. I bet you it's going to be a strongly worded letter.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign. Advertising---I believe in it--heck it pays my salary--but the federal government is lousy at it. This should not be a priority for a country $16.5 Trillion in the hole.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission). Review? Shouldn't they be doing this already?
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations. A Memo? Shouldn't they be doing this already?
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement. Release? Shouldn't they be doing this already?
11. Nominate an ATF director. Obama has been POTUS for 4 years and hasn't named anyone to the permanent position of ATF director (all of them have been interim choices). Shouldn't he have done this already? Hey look America--I am going to do my freaking job!
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations. No problem here
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime. Gee, enforce the existing gun laws...this guy is a genius--what a freaking brilliant idea!
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence. CDC gets to do a study too---oh goody. Of course there is one issue with this---it's against the law. On the CDC appropriations bill Congress has inserted a provision against the health agency from researching (and politicizing) gun violence. The provision has been inserted every year for a very long time--and for the past four years the bill was signed by Barack Obama.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies. Now Holder has to do TWO reports. I bet you he is beginning to think he is back in High School.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes. OOOOH That one is going to hurt. Can they also ask about computers in the home?
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities. OH GEE, Another strongly worded letter--Mr Blix?
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education. A Model? It looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover. This one is going to be different---it's going to be a VERY strongly worded letter.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges. They are supposed to go live, shouldn't they be doing this already?
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations. They always wait till the last minute to finalize.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health. Hey Obama how come the black guy in your cabinet has to write two reports...and all these white folks have to do is talk? What a racist!
There are MANY expenses associated with running this site, computers, wifi cards, travel to debates and conferences, purchase of research, etc.
Despite what the progressives say, I receive no funding from the Koch Brothers, Karl Rove, or the Worldwide Jewish Conspiracy.
The only way I offset my expenses is through the donations of my readers.
Folks PLEASE Consider Making a Donation to Keep This Site Going.
Hit the Tip Jar (it's on the left-hand column).