For the 12th time since he was elected President Barack Obama is promising to pivot to the economy. According to the Associated Press:
Drawing renewed attention to the economy, President Barack Obama will return this week to an Illinois college where he once spelled out a vision for an expanded and strengthened middle class as a freshman U.S. senator, long before the Great Recession would test his presidency.Will this be a real pivot or a sham like the previous 11 times.
The address Wednesday at Knox College in Galesburg, Ill., will be the first in a new series of economic speeches that White House aides say Obama intends to deliver over the next several weeks ahead of key budget deadlines in the fall. A new fiscal year begins in October, and the government will soon hit its borrowing limit.
- “Obama Pivots to Jobs Tour at End of Scandal Filled Week” (ABC News, 5/18/13)
- “Obama’s Texas Trip An Attempt To Refocus On Jobs, Economy” (Washington Times, 5/8/13)
- “Obama: State Of The Union To Focus On Jobs” (USA Today, 2/8/13)
- “Obama Turns To Congress For Jobs Help” (The New York Times, 6/1/12)
- “Obama Turns Attention To Economy After Fundraising Pitch (Associated Press, 5/11/12)
- “Fresh Off Debt-Ceiling Brawl, Dems Pivot To Talk About Jobs” (The Hill, 8/3/11)
- “Obama To Focus On Jobs” (San Jose Mercury News, 1/23/11)
- “Obama To Focus On Jobs, Spending In State Of The Union Speech (The Tennessean, 1/27/10)
- “Hill Democrats Set To Pivot To Job Creation” (Washington Times, 1/25/10)
- “Obama Pivots To Jobs As Key Theme” (Politico, 1/8/10)
- “Obama Turns Focus To Job Creation” (Associated Press, 12/5/09)
Usually the president will bloviate about he same war on success programs and after a couple of weeks find a different progressive program such as immigration and/or Obamacare to try and sell to the public. Perhaps the president will stick with the economy and look toward compromise something he hasn't been willing to do so far in his administration. Not very likely though.
Something tells me a few months from now we will hear about Obama pivoting to the economy for the 13th time.