First of all Kerry's use of "flat earth society" argues against his point. "Once upon a time" everyone believed the earth was flat, in fact there was as scientific consensus. At other times the "scientific consensus" was that the Sun revolved around the Earth. And don't forget at one time the "scientific consensus" was that Einstein's theory of relativity was bunk --so much for consensus. Obviously Kerry never read any of the 1,350+ peer-reviewed scientific studies that refute the global warming theory.
The truth is there is no consensus. It is Kerry and the global warming enthusiast's extreme ideologues competing with scientific facts. For example Heartland's James Taylor offered these facts on Forbes Magazine.com:
- More than 31,000 scientists have signed a summary of the science explaining why humans are not creating a global warming crisis. There is no document making the case for global warming alarmism with nearly as many scientists’ signatures.
- A survey of more than 1,800 atmospheric scientists within the American Meteorological Society shows less than half of the scientists believe humans are the primary cause of recent warming.
- Comprehensive scientific summaries presented by the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change reveal thousands of peer-reviewed studies contradict the alarmist global warming narrative.
- In a survey of more than 500 climate scientists conducted by scientists at Germany’s Institute for Coastal Research, less than half agreed that “Natural scientists have established enough physical evidence to turn the issue of global climate change over to social scientists for matters of policy discussion.”
- Scientific organizations such as the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Polish Academy of Sciences dispute the notion that humans are causing a global warming crisis. Others, such as the American Physical Society, point out there scientists are sharply split on the issue.
Any time someone tells you there's a scientific consensus on any theory---run the other way because it's total nonsense.