IDF troops have found a Hamas manual on “Urban Warfare,” in the Gaza strip. The manual belonged to the Shuja’iya Brigade of Hamas’ military wing, the Al-Qassam Brigades, and explains how the civilian population can be used against IDF forces and reveals that Hamas knows the IDF is committed to minimizing harm to civilians.
Two weeks ago we published ten examples of Hamas using civilians as human shields. Last week we published ten more examples, and earlier today we published even ten more examples. All of it proved how Hamas continuously used the civilian population of Gaza as human shields. The discovery of a Hamas “urban warfare” manual by IDF forces offers more proof and showcases that Hamas’ callous use of the Gazan population was intentional and preplanned.
This Hamas urban warfare manual exposes two truths:
(1) The terror group knows full well that the IDF will do what it can to limit civilian casualties.In a portion entitled “Limiting the Use of Weapons,” the manual explains that:
(2) The terror group exploits these efforts by using civilians as human shields against advancing IDF forces.
The soldiers and commanders (of the IDF) must limit their use of weapons and tactics that lead to the harm and unnecessary loss of people and [destruction of] civilian facilities. It is difficult for them to get the most use out of their firearms, especially of supporting fire [e.g. artillery].Clearly Hamas knows the IDF will limit its use of weapons in order to avoid harming civilians, including refraining from using larger firepower to support for infantry.
The manual goes on to explain that the “presence of civilians are pockets of resistance” that cause three major problems for advancing troops:
(1) Problems with opening fireLastly, the manual discusses the benefits for Hamas when civilian homes are destroyed:
(2) Problems in controlling the civilian population during operations and afterward
(3) Assurance of supplying medical care to civilians who need it
The destruction of civilian homes: This increases the hatred of the citizens towards the attackers [the IDF] and increases their gathering [support] around the city defenders (resistance forces[i.e. Hamas]).It is clear that Hamas actually desires the destruction of homes and civilian infrastructure, knowing it will increase hatred for the IDF and support their fighters.
Scans of two manual pages follows:
H/T: IDF Blog