Please Hit

Folks, This is a Free Site and will ALWAYS stay that way. But the only way I offset my expenses is through the donations of my readers. PLEASE Consider Making a Donation to Keep This Site Going. SO HIT THE TIP JAR (it's on the left-hand column).

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Obama's Grandma Comment at Town Hall Was Pure Hypocrisy

Its incredible how President Obama uses his Grandmother as a prop. It was very convenient for Obama to throw his Grandma under the bus during the campaign:
I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother – a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.
Now that he is fighting for his health care plan the President is no longer calling his Grandma a racist (just the people who disagree with his plan). With a tear in his eye, at today's staged Town Hall, the POTUS said
“What you can't do — or, you can, but you shouldn't do — is start saying we want to set up death panels to pull the plug on Grandma,” said Obama, who for a second time this week personalized the healthcare debate.

“I mean, come on... I just lost my grandmother last year. I know what it's like to watch somebody you love who's aging deteriorate, and have to struggle with that,” he said.

“But the notion that somehow I've run for public office or members of Congress are in this so they can go around pulling the plug on Grandma? When you start making arguments like that, that's simply dishonest.”
So that's the point Mr. President, you want to ration health care so people don't have to watch their grandmothers struggle as long?  But Gee, just this past April you talked about your Grandma's unnecessary hip replacement.
The president’s grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, had a hip replaced after she was diagnosed with cancer, Obama said in an interview with the New York Times magazine that was published today. Dunham, who lived in Honolulu, died at the age of 86 on Nov. 2, 2008, two days before her grandson’s election victory.

“I don’t know how much that hip replacement cost,” Obama said in the interview. “I would have paid out of pocket for that hip replacement just because she’s my grandmother.”

Obama said “you just get into some very difficult moral issues” when considering whether “to give my grandmother, or everybody else’s aging grandparents or parents, a hip replacement when they’re terminally ill.

“That’s where I think you just get into some very difficult moral issues,” he said in the April 14 interview. “The chronically ill and those toward the end of their lives are accounting for potentially 80 percent of the total health- care bill out here.”
I don't want to leave you with the impression that Obama would just withhold care for Grandma, in this classic video below, the POTUS talks to a woman whose 105-year-old Mother has been living with a pace maker for 5 years.




 My Friend Ed Morrissey of Hot Air gave a great speech at the Right Wing Blogger's Conference about whether there is a "Constitutional" right to Health Care.  Click here to see the video.

kk

1 comment:

vdavisson said...

He WOULD have paid for the operation?

Well, I wouldn't complain if he sent a check over to the Medicare agency to reimburse them. I hear they're short on money.

Another thing... I haven't heard anyone talk about him going off on Medicare Advantage. HR 3200 does away with it, and MA is the only thing keeping Medicare a viable payment system. It provides so called "Medigap" coverage for the pittance that Medicare pays.

If MA goes away, Medicare's miserly payment schedule will indeed result in rationing, by providing only pennies on the dollar for medical services.