Please Hit

Folks, This is a Free Site and will ALWAYS stay that way. But the only way I offset my expenses is through the donations of my readers. PLEASE Consider Making a Donation to Keep This Site Going. SO HIT THE TIP JAR (it's on the left-hand column).

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Guy In Obama Commercial is LYING About His Wife's Cancer Death

This is really low, Joe Soptic appears in a pro-Obama ad and blames Mitt Romney for the cancer death of his wife--and he's lying.  While it's true that the his wife died from cancer, it happened, seven years after Romney left the company, five years after Bain closed the unsuccessful plant.  When he lost his health insurance his wife still had it for another two years until she lost her job.

Heck even CNN is throwing down the bullsh*t card on this one:


WOLF BLITZER, CNN: “Meanwhile a new attack ad by a Super PAC backing President Obama basically blames Mitt Romney for a woman's death from cancer after his company, Bain Capital, shut down the steel mill where the woman’s husband worked. Let's go to our White House correspondent Brianna Keilar, she's watching this for us. Brianna, on the surface it seems pretty outrageous to blame Mitt Romney for the death of this woman. That's a pretty outrageous claim. But what's going on here?”

BRIANNA KEILAR, CNN: “It does when you dig deeper here, Wolf, because this ad makes it sound like this woman passed away shortly after Bain Capital closed down the steel plant where her husband worked. But in reality she passed away five years after it closed. And the former steel worker in this ad, I spoke to him on the phone today and he said that during some of that time his wife had insurance through her employer. So, Wolf, this is a heart-wrenching story, but it's not accurate.

KEILAR VOICEOVER: “Joe Soptic worked at GST Steel in Missouri for almost 30 years. He was laid off after Bain Capital acquired the plant, eventually closing it down. Now Soptic is featured in a new ad by Priorities USA Action, the Super PAC supporting President Obama's re-election.”

PRIORITIES USA AD: “When Mitt Romney and Bain closed the plant, I lost my health care, and my family lost their health care. And a short time after that my wife became ill. And then I took her up to the Jackson County hospital and admitted her for pneumonia, and that's when they found the cancer. By then it was Stage 4. There was nothing they could do for her.”

KEILAR: “It's a heartbreaking story, but the ad does not tell all of it. In 1999 Mitt Romney leaves Bain for the Salt Lake Olympics, stopping day-to-day oversight of the company but remaining CEO. In 2001, Joe Soptic loses his job when Bain closes the plant. His wife still has insurance, though, through her employer, Saver’s thrift store. A year later, Romney formerly leaves Bain. And it's that year, 2002, or perhaps 2003, Soptic tells CNN, that his wife leaves her job because of an injury. That's when she became uninsured without fallback insurance from her husband. A few years later, in 2006, she goes to the hospital is diagnosed with cancer and dies just days later. Soptic, an Obama supporter who was in another ad back in May for the Obama campaign, blames Romney for the loss of his job and his insurance.”

JOE SOPTIC: “That's the way that I feel. I mean, Mitt Romney, he's a very rich man. I mean it's obvious if you watch him on television that he's completely out of touch with the average family, or, you know, middle income people. I don't think he has any concept as to how when you close a big company like that how it affects families, the community. You know, it affects everyone.”

KEILAR: “The Romney campaign is blasting the ad. A spokeswoman saying President Obama's allies continue to use discredited and dishonest attacks in a contemptible effort to conceal the administration's deplorable economic record. The Obama campaign and the White House are keeping their distance from the debate. White House press secretary Jay Carney said he has yet to see the ad.”

JAY CARNEY, WHITE HOUSE: “I'm simply saying I have not seen this. So how could I possibly assess it without--”

KEILAR:  “Will you assess it later?”

CARNEY: “If you ask me tomorrow, sure.”

KEILAR: “Now, Wolf, I followed up with Carney after the briefing and he told me that he may look at the ad but if I ask about it, ‘my assessment will be I have no assessment.’ This is kind of a case of the Super PAC being able to do the dirty work and the campaign and candidate, and in this case, the White House, trying to keep its hands clean.”

BLITZER: “All right, so the White House at least now not touching this commercial. The Obama campaign I take it isn't saying anything about it either, is that right? What about the Super PAC itself? What are they saying?”

KEILAR: “That's right. Everything is being referred to the Super PAC. I spoke with Bill Burton, a founder of Priorities USA Action. And I pressed him on this, are you drawing this link between Mitt Romney and this woman's death? And he said, no, we're not doing that. But Wolf, I think a lot of people who looked at that ad, certainly you, certainly I, did not walk away from it with that impression.”

BLITZER: “We'll talk about this ad in our next hour as well. We have a representative from the Obama campaign, a representative from the Romney campaign. They'll be on together, and we'll go through this point by point by point. Excellent report, Brianna, I really appreciate the good work. Thanks so much.”



Shame on you Joe Soptic for disgracing your wife's memory by lying about her death.

No comments: